by Sally Bjork
"Lovely," comments Judy Avery. "How nice of you to provide us with a chance to check out that barn none of us got last month." The house is known as "The Meadows," writes Michael Brueger, "built in 1936 on Geddes Road." It's also referred to as "The Manor at Concordia University," points out Karl Rose. "Or, Earhart Manor," writes Judi Taylor, noting that it was originally built for H.B. Earhart and family.
Harry Boyd Earhart--president of the White Star Refining Corporation in Detroit--purchased the Botsford farm along the Huron River in 1917, according to the historic designation marker. His family lived in the farmhouse until the mid-thirties, when Earhart moved it to a neighboring property to make way for his French Manor retirement home. The Manor's "classic, simple proportions were enhanced with elegant details that included ... a Pewabic ceramic fountain," shares Louisa Griffes, citing Grace Shackman's 1997 Observer article. "What luxury!" exclaims Judi Taylor.
Nine people correctly identified Earhart Manor. Our winner is Judy Avery. She'll be giving her $25 gift certificate to her goddaughter to enjoy at Books by Chance.
To enter this month's contest, use the photo and clue on the Back Page above to identify the scene, then follow the instructions at the bottom of the page.
[Originally published in September, 2012.]
Local profiles, stories from readers, and more.>> Blogs